Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Interview with Rafal Mazur. Chapter 01.

Rafal Mazur is one of the most active improvisers on Krakow scene has been mentioned many times on this blog. His involvement with improvising scene is now far beyond local interest as he works regularly such musicians like Mikolaj Trzaska, Artur Majewski, Raymond Strid, Keir Neuringer, Liudas Mockunas and many more.
As I had a long conversation with Rafal, and we talked about improvisation, recent records, history, beer, heavy metal and many more, there were two main themes that emerged.

Firstly, Rafal's personal story as a musician, from the very beggining. An personal account that gives also an intriguing perspective on the beginnings of Krakow and polish improvising scene.

Secondly, Rafal talked a lot about his views about the improvisation itself, its methods and goals and those reflections formed naturally an essay about the nature of this art which I find really inspiring.

As the volume of the text is substantial, the interview will be divided in more chapters which will presented on the blog seperately. I hope you'll enjoy the read.

I took also this opportunity to invite you once again, on Rafal's behalf, to participate in the upcoming concerts with Marco Eneidi. 20.03 in Krakow at Literki. 21.03 in Sopot at Lalala (with Jerzy Mazzoll on clarinets; btw, isn't that a most brilliant name for a restaurant/hotel?).

(photos are by Krzysztof Penarski)

Początek to jest sytuacja jasna. Okoliczności były takie, że trudno jest je zapomnieć, a zaczeło się to  prosto – mój ojciec był muzykiem. Nie zawodowym,  ale takim grającym wiele, był jednym z pierwszych muzyków, którzy grali w Krakowie jazz, raczej w kierunku muzyki rozrywkowej,   tanecznej, grając często akompaniament dla wokalistek śpiewających jakieś tam polskie piosenki. Mnie to mało interesowało, ale muzyki było dużo w domu. Mieliśmy oczywiście adapter i całą kolekcję płyt. Muzyki więc było dużo chociażby ze względu na to, że ojciec w jednym z tych zespołów mój ojciec poznał moją mamę, która śpiewała.
Moja przygoda z muzyką zaczęła się jednak dzięki komuś innemu, matka mojego ojca czyli moja babka pewnego dnia przyszła po mnie, wzięła mnie ze szkoły przed zakończeniem lekcji i pojechaliśmy na przesłuchanie do szkoły muzycznej do centrum, mieszkałem wtedy na os. Widok w Bronowicach. Nie wiedziałem co się dzieje, nie wiedziałem gdzie jadę. Wszedłem do pokoju gdzie jakaś pani grała coś na fortepianie, ja coś odpowiadałem. Efekt był taki, że trzeba było wybrać instrument. No i ja też nie miałem właściwie w tym udziału, bo to było dla mnie pytanie zupełnie abstrakcyjne. To była pierwsza klasa szkoły podstawowej. Nie potrafiłbym nawet jakoś sensownie wymienić instrumentów. No i  wybrano za mnie wiolonczelę, która siedziała mi na karku aż ukończyłem 19sty rok życia. Musiałem chodzić do tej szkoły i grać na tej wiolonczeli.

As for the begining, the situation was very simple – the circumstances in which I were introduced to music  would be hard to forget:  my father was a musician. Not a professional one,  but he was one of the first in Krakow to play jazz, more on the entertainement side,  ballrooms music, accompanying vocalists singing some slightly jazzed up polish songs. I wasn’t really interested, but there was lots of music at home, we had a lp player and quite big record collection. My mom would sing in one of those groups and that’s how my father met her.

My personal adventure with music began thatnks to somebody else. My father’s mother, my grandma, took me earlier from school once day and we went for the audition to a music school in the town centre, I lived on Widok district at Bronowice back then. I didn’t really know what was happening, where I was going.  As I entered the room, a lady played something on the piano, I gave some answers. The effect was that an instrument had to be chosen.  And I didn’t really had any part in that as well, it was for a compltetly abstrac question, It was the first class of elementary, I wouldn’t even be able to name  any instruments really. And so the cello was chosen, and it would be my burden till I became 19 years old. I had to go to the music school and practice on cello.
with Tim Daisy and Mikolaj Trzaska

Ale zdarzyło się i coś takiego.  Ja jako dziecko słuchałem tego co było w radio,  nie byłem świadomym słuchaczem, nie wybierałem nic. Ale raz w życiu byłem na tzw, kolonii, czyli wyjechałem na wakacje bez rodziców. To było w Rabce, mieliśmy pokoje w takich willach. Tam pojawiły się dwie okoliczności, które wiele zmieniły w moim życiu.
Pierwsza jest taka, że syn gospodarzy, który mieszkał na parterze był hipisem, włosy do ramion, pokój wypełniony własnoręcznie zrobionymi plakatami dziwnych grup muzycznych, które były mi zupełnie obce – jacyś faceci z długimi włosami. Na zabawy wieczorowe, które się odbyły trzy w trakcie kolonii, pożyczał nam magnetofon szpulowy ze swoimi nagraniami.
Druga okoliczność jest taka, że w tej samej grupie na kolonii był chłopak z Bochni, który mnie nauczył jednej rzeczy:  „wiesz jaki jest najlepszy zespół z Polski? TSA. Kto jest w nim najważniejszy? Marek Piekarczyk i on jest z Bochni właśnie”.  I od tego czasu,  nie znając muzyki zespołu, zostałem fanem TSA.

Another thing happened though. I wasn’t really conscious about the music I’d listen to, I made no choice in the matter, listened to what would play in the radio. And then I went to this summer camp, first time on vacation without my parents. It was in Rabka, we had rooms in those big villas by the sea. Two circumstances occured that changed a lot in my life.
Firstly, the owners son, living at the basement, he was a hippie, hairs at arm-length, his room filled with handmade poster of various bands I wasn’t familiar with – some dudes with long haris. We had those evening parties, three of them during the camp, he’d lend us his reel-tape player with his music.
Secondly, with my group at the camp there was this guy from Bochnia who taught me one thing: „do you know what’s the best polish band? It’s TSA. Who’s the most important? Marek Piekarczyk and he’s from Bochnia as well”.  And thus I became, not even knowing the band or the music, TSA fan.

Tak się złożyło, że w tym samym roku, po moim powrocie do domu (to musiał być rok 81y albo 82y) odbył się słynny koncert TSA w namiocie Teatru STU na Błoniach w Krakowie, nagrany i transmitowany przez Telewizje Polską.  Wybłagałem u rodziców, musiałem to obejrzeć, choć tak na prawdę nie wiedziałem o co proszę, znałem tylko zdjęcia zespołu, nie miałem żadnego kontaktu z muzyką. Transmisja była w nocy, ja miałem 10 lat, musiałem się naprosić bo wtedy nie było takiego zwyczaju żeby 10letni chłopcy oglądali w nocy telewizję. Wszyscy przewidywali, że ja zaraz zasnę, leżałem w pościelonym, gotowym łóżku i  oglądałem ten koncert na czarno-białym telewizorze. Oszalałem – gitara elektryczna zmieniła coś w moim umyśle.

As I got back home (it was 81’ or 82’) TSA played a famous concert at the Blonia in Krakow, it was transmitted by the national tv. I begged my parents so I could stay up late that night. I still didn’t know what I was asking  for, I barely have seen  a band’s photo, I did not know their music. It wasn’t usual, like it would be maybe today, that a 10 year old kid would stay up to watch the tv in the night. Everyone really expected me to doze off at any moment, I had my bed made ready for the night.  And so I watched the concert and a black and white tv screen. I went crazy, the electric guitar blew my mind.
Defil bass guitar. Mambo model.

(a więc nastoletnia fascynacja muzyką rockową)
I to natychmiast. Heavy metalem, mówiąc krótko. Zapragnąłem mieć długie włosy i byłem w swojej grupie pierwszy, choć dopiero kilka lat później, w 7ej klasie. W domu było mnóstwo nagrań jazzowych, kompletnie mnie to nie interesowało. Ja byłam zafascynowany gitarą, beatem rockowym, krótką mówiąc byłem heavymetalowcem i to bardzo długo. Następne  odkrycie to był zespół AC / DC. Gitara Angusa Younga wystrzeliła mnie prosto w kosmos.  Nie było pytań żadnych.  A potem był Motorhead. I kiedy okazało się, że największy i najgroźniejszy facet w tym zespole czyli Lemmy, ze swoim głosem jak brzytwa, gra na gitarze basowej to się okazało, że ja też muszę grać na basówce.
W tym samym czasie okazało się, że po rozwiązanym zespole mojego ojca zostały instrumenty. I dostałem swoją pierwszą gitarę basową, marki Defil. Straszny instrument, miał gryf jak stylisko od łopaty, nie dało się tego w ogóle chwycić, ale to był mój pierwszy instrument, grałem na nim próby w zepołach heavy i trash metalowych.  Miał wielkie pudło, takie jak gitary Czerwono Czarnych, a moi koledzy mieli własnoręcznie podrabiane gitary na wzór NRDowskiej marki Kosmos, w kształcie trójkątów. A ja elegancko z Defilem, model Mambo właśnie, który ledwo działał tak naprawdę. To była moja pierwsza gitara basowa.


(and so begins a teenage years fascination with rock music...?)
Yes indeed! With Heavy Metal to be more exact. I desired to have long hair and I was first in my class to do so, even if it happened only in 7th grade. We had many jazz records at home and I couldn’t care less. I was fascinated with the electric guitar, rock beat, in short I was a heavy metal dude, for a long time in fact. My next revelation was Ac/D. Angus Young’s guitar it shot me straight up to the stars, no questions asked. And after that came Motorhead. And when it turned that the biggest and baddest guy on the band, Lemmy, with his razor like voice, played bass, It was clear I had to as well.
In the same period of time , one of my father groups disbanded and some instruments got left. That’s how I got my first bass guitar – Defil brand. A horrible instrument.  The neck thick as shovel’s handle, impossible to hold properly. But that was it, I played it with some heavy and trash metal bands. It had a huge body, like old big beat music guitars.  All my friends had those self-made guitars triangle-shaped after a DDR brand Kosmos. I had my stylish Defil, model Mambo, which was barely funcioning. My very first bass guitar.   


Where is jazz and improvised music in all that story you ask? Well, it will come to the stage in the second chapter of the story. in the meantime you might feel tempted to check the fragment of the very concert 10 year old Rafal Mazur watched on the black and white screen in his bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It feels great when someone's reading what I'm writing! Please leave a comment if there's anything on Your mind concerning the post (or other subjects) and come back soon.